2015-03-04 - Quick fix
The support of font kerning has introduced a regression leading to crashes when replacing text containing markers (bookmarks, error marks or search highlights). This release just fixes that.
2015-02-26 - Code Browser 5.2 Released
This release mainly fixes the Linux version, it was broken and barely usable: issues with focus, crashes with binary files, broken layouts, ...
2014-08-09 - Code Browser 5.1 Released
This release brings back links, add folding utilities (in optional packages) and fixes several bugs.
2014-08-04 - A Note about Links
As I've received comments from people disappointed with the removal of links, I'm explaining the reasons why I've removed them and how I'm going to restore the feature.
The navigation is broken because of links. I've never implemented it correctly: the back command is a mix of navigation through history and tree hierarchy. It is not consistent and can raise to unexpected behavior such as losing the root file of the current window.
Links add a lot of code at every level of the application (model, display, search, navigation, script, ...). More code means harder maintenance, especially when the program is written on an experimental programming language that is still evolving.
The inconsistencies in the navigation led to very complex code to locate sections with find, error reportings, ... (with links there can be more than one path to a section)
Code Browser 5 is not exactly the successor of Code Browser 4.9 but a merge of it and an experimental editor where I've replaced the folding by a page/section model. It was interesting but not as flexible as the Code Browser's folding. So I've dropped it but I've used it as a code base for CB5 because the code was cleaner an had already the new features such as projects. It was too much work to reintegrate links.
I'm planning to bring back links but in a more limited way:
- As a window edits now exactly one file, following a link pointing to another file will open a new window (or it will reuse an existing one already opened on the target).
- Links won't be visible in the tree and list view
- No follow-link option in the search dialog.
- No back command. There is just a 'Go Parent' command. I may implement Back and Forward commands later but it won't be specific to links: it will apply to any location change.
- Links won't have identifiers anymore. This property was to make links behaves as virtual sections: a link can point to a section as well as another link. This way, it would have been possible to create level of indirections. But I've never implemented this capability.
This should keep the code reasonably simple and bug free.
2014-07-27 - Code Browser 5.0 Released
A new major version of Code Browser is available. More information here.
Before upgrading to this new version, check the changes as several important features have been removed, so you may want to stay with the version 4.
As freshmeat is dead, I've added a RSS page to send notifications when a new version is released.
2014-04-05 - Code Browser 4.9 Released
This release fixes a bug with CSS syntax highlighting, a bug with the relative indentation and the long standing bug on Windows preventing to open a file already open in write mode.